One of the main things for exclusive pumpers is storage. How long can breastmilk be stored in different areas. Well here is a list of the basics thats ive learned from various different sources:
– At room temp its good for 5 hours.
– In the fridge its good for 5 days.
– In the freezer its good for 5 months.
– In the DEEP freezer its good for 1 year.
– Once at room temp from the fridge or freezer it needs to be used.
– Can me moved from the fridge to freezer within 5 days.
– Once frozen is thawed in fridge it needs to be used in 1 day.
Now I will be the first to admit that I have stretched these time frames but this is my general rule. I always do the smell test before feeding to my baby. If it smells a little funky, I dump it.
I always keep 7 bottles of 4oz in the fridge and everything else gets frozen and at the end of the week moved to the deep freezer.
If I need to use frozen milk I pull it from the deep freezer 24 hours before I need it. 24 hours to thaw, 24 hours to use.
Hope this helps!!